Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bay Area Eats: EATS! American Grill

Last weekend, my parents were in town, and for Sunday lunch, I decided to try something new and take them to a restaurant we all hadn't tried yet: EATS! American Grill. After reading favorable blog reviews as well as praising Yelp! reviews, I'd been wanting to check the place out for some time. I wasn't disappointed (my parents loved it as well!).

We started off with the complimentary basket of Saratoga Potato Chips and dipping sauce and an order of fried pickles ($4.99). The pickles were piping hot (a sign that they were made fresh!), and the chips and dipping sauce were just a perfect complement. I don't know exactly what the dipping sauce was comprised of, but it was very similar to the sauce that comes with Outback's Bloomin' Onion.

Perusing through the menu's variety of Americana fare, we settled on the Bin on Weck ($8.99--Pops' choice), the French Dip ($8.99--Mom's choice), and the Midwestern BLT ($8.79--my choice). That BLT was probably the best I've ever had. EATS! turned the simple sandwich on its head by making it with fried green tomatoes, peppered bacon, lettuce, its "Signature Spicy Sauce," and slapping the whole thing between two pieces of Texas Toast. I had the choice between the regular Spicy Sauce and "full heat," and opted for the regular (I don't like terribly spicy foods). The regular sauce added just enough of a kick that I could appreciate without draining my water glass. Its flavors also enhanced the fried green tomatoes and peppered bacon really well.

My parents' sandwiches looked equally as delicious. I can't really describe what they tasted like, as they weren't my sandwiches (obvs), so descriptions from the menu (and your own imaginations) will have to suffice:
 Bin on Weck (Beef on Weck):
Buffalo's other claim to fame. Brought to us by Michael Wuliger of Bin 27, this famous sandwich is thinly sliced roast beef served on a kummelweck roll and topped with our own Horsey Sauce. Au Jus served on the side. 

French Dip:
Born in 1918 in Los Angeles, CA. This classic is roast beef cooked and seasoned to perfection, topped with Swiss cheese and served with a side of Au Jus for dipping. 


Yummy. If the clean plates were any indication, I'd say they were received enthusiastically.

EATS! lives up to its reputation as being a great go-to for American food. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is casual (plenty of TVs for watching the big game and a full bar for those who want something a little stronger with their food), and you will feel right at home. It's definitely a place I plan on visiting again; I've got my sights set on its fried Oreo sundae!

EATS! American Grill
4502 S. Dale Mabry Hwy.
Tampa, FL 33611
813-835-3287

Hours:
Mon-Sun 11a.m.-10p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment