Thursday, April 14, 2011

Open Letter to Play 98.7

Dear Play 98.7,



You bother me. Don't get me wrong, I still listen to you because you do play some good songs, but still--you bother me. I hear your commercials, the ones that call out Mix 100.7 for being old and outdated while positioning you as the newer, hipper, younger model. Ordinarily, this would not bother me, but lately you've been playing songs that just don't jive with the image you've been trying to convey. Like Anna Nalick's "Breathe (2a.m.)." Does that really fall under the heading of, "today's hits?" It's a good song and all, but it came out in, what, 2006? Or "Scar Tissue" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I think that came out back in 2004! How can you boast that you play only, "today's hits without the rap" when your playlists include five- and seven-year-old songs? More importantly, how does this make you any different that Mix, a station that plays those same exact songs every single day?



Last Sunday really took the cake, and turned my minor annoyance with you into full-fledged, "Holy shitballs, if I hear ONE MORE commercial that makes fun of Mix, I am going to send everybody at Play 98.7 anthrax-laced envelopes." Wanna know what it was? "FAST CAR" BY TRACY CHAPMAN. Just so we're crystal clear, it's this song:





NOT this younger, hipper, fits-more-in-with-your-image song by the same name:



Really?


Really? REALLY, PLAY 98.7?!
FAST CAR?! THAT SONG CAME OUT IN 1988!!!!!!!! COME ON!! Honestly, Play 98.7, you've gotten me so worked up, I've used italics, capital letters, exclamation points and question marks in conjunction with each other.



Seriously. Get your shit together and stop playing old songs. Otherwise, get a new advertising campaign.



Sincerely,



Sarah "HonestlyLikesFastCarButHatesToHearItOnPlay98.7" Van Blaricum

1 comment: