Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Minaret Outfit!

Every year, the university where I work, and more specifically, my department, hosts a dinner to honor the top university donors. This dinner is called the Minaret Gala, and if you work in my department, you are required to go (unless you are either dead or dying). Now I know that a mandatory work function might sound like a drag, but I actually look forward to the Minaret Gala for two main reasons:

1. Free wine. Last year, a co-worker and I took FULL advantage of this perk, and we plan on doing it again. Wine makes a multi-course formal dinner bearable.


2. The chance to dress up. This is where I get mega-girlie. I LOVE any occasion that lets me showcase my glamorous side, because let's face it: I'm not a royal, or a socialite, or in the entertainment industry, nor am I dating anybody who falls into those categories. Glam Sarah rarely, if ever, gets to come out, so when an event comes up where her presence is required, I go all out. And now that I have this blog, I can share my fabulous outfit with you all. The really really girlie part? I planned the outfit around the shoes. I know, I know. But come on--how could I not?




Seriously--aren't these fabulous? They're the Betsey Johnson Cady pumps, my birthday splurge. (Warning: I also love shoes. I'm sure at some point the obsession will make itself more known.) So because I wanted the shoes to take center stage, I decided to go with a dress that was more minimal. My co-worker suggested (we were dressing shopping on our lunch break last week) I try on the below dress, which is by Suzi Chin (and also in red):

At first, I was skeptical, but it actually fit really well! The ruching flatters and flattens areas where, I, ahem might have a little extra baggage (if ya know what I mean. No? You don't know what I mean? Alright, I'm talking about my fat. Geez.) and the ruffle down the side adds just enough detail without overshadowing the shoes.

I'm super-excited to rock this outfit at the dinner. I'm even adding a special touch (well, I added this special touch last year too): false eyelashes! Except this year, I'll know to cut them to fit the shape of my eye before applying. (Had a lot of fun with that last year!) ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment