Monday, May 2, 2011

Things I Cook: Creamy Mushroom Pasta With Chicken

Alright, kiddos, for this entry we are re-visiting my most favoritist food blog ever, Budget Bytes. If I haven't sounded like a broken record by now, let me just reiterate how much I love this blog. Budget Bytes has been my saving grace. At a time when I knew I wanted to start cooking more but didn't know where to begin, I stumbled upon it, and it is my #1 source when I'm looking for recipes. The recipes are cheap and easy (just how I like my men, heh heh), but they're QUALITY--something that I think is hard to marry. And the recipes make large batches, so I can cook on the weekend, and eat on it for the rest of the week. Cha-ching! Know what that is? That's the sound of the MONEY I'M SAVING by cooking and eating at home instead of going out every other night. Pretty sweet, am I right?

Last weekend, I tried its recipe for Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Chicken. Here's how it turned out:


I eat my pasta out of a bowl 'cause that's how I like it, okay? It's how I do. Anyway, I modified the recipe a bit: I substituted whole wheat pasta for the regular kind, and used green onions instead of a regular onion because that's what I had in my fridge and it needed to be used. I also used the dried parsley I had in my cabinet instead of fresh parsley because I already had it on hand as well.

The verdict: It was okay. It turned out a little bland. I have no idea if it was because of the whole wheat pasta or if I simply didn't put enough salt and pepper in it, though. I'd make it again with regular pasta and more seasoning just to see if that was the problem. If you want to try the recipe, you may access it here.

3 comments:

  1. I bet salt and pepper would do the trick! I feel like wheat pasta is a bit more al dente, but I don't think taste is sacrificed. Also, helps to season the pasta water, but you probably already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried seasoning the pasta water in the past, but I've never tasted any sort of a difference. Of course, I have a fear of over-seasoning my food, so I oftentimes put too little, which could be the case.

    I just made skillet lasagna, and I thought I accidentally put too much salt in my ricotta cheese. However, it turns out it was the perfect amount, which tells me that I could stand to be a bit more liberal in my seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salt is hard to judge, because I always think I am going to develop hypertension after the quantity I add to dishes.

    ReplyDelete