Friday, March 5, 2010

Technologically Savvy?

Every time I tell this story it gets a laugh, so I figured I'd share it here. Plus, I'm in the mood for some writin' and this is the only thing I can think of to write about.

My family didn't install an internet connection to the home computer until the spring of 2000. My father was staunch in his refusal to go viral, and do you wanna know his reason? It was because he thought the internet was a passing fad. He didn't think it would impact our lives that much. But during the spring of 2000, when he saw that the internet wasn't going to go away any time soon, he broke down and bought a brand spankin' new HP desktop and had a dial-up connection installed a few days later. (Prior to that, our basic computing needs were met by a hand-me-down computer circa the mid- to late-nineties given to us by a cousin.) The VB household was officially connected.

At this point, you might be scratching your head, wondering why the hell I'm even telling you this. And there's also a slight chance you might be comparing my family to the Clampetts. Whatever. But I haven't told you where my dad works, for therein lies the humor.

He works in the IT department at FDLE.

Needless to say, nobody in my family is an early adopter of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment